Monday, September 17, 2007

Ganapati Bappa Morya!

Ganesh Chaturthi is a time in Bombay when people of different ages, castes, even religions get together amidst all fanfare to welcome the adorable elephant headed God, pamper Him to no end at his temporary home, the pandal, till its time for Him to go back to His Mother.
I was lucky enough to take my planned vacation during Ganesh Chaturthi time and visit my folks in Bombay. And I have been in a ‘drum-sound’ induced high :) since Friday when the Ganeshjis were brought to different pandals. It’s a heady feeling to see so much of positivity around – people dancing on the streets, full of smiles, putting their entire mind, body and soul into the celebration.

It was विसर्जन (immersion) time for the Ganeshji in our colony yesterday
So I landed up at the colony club to see Ganeshji embark on his final journey to join his Mother। Amidst the revelry, I spotted quite a few people I had not been in touch for a long time. It felt really nice to catch up with people I had not met for years together! And when the truck carrying Ganeshji moved out of the colony gate, I experienced mixed emotions – happiness and peace of mind that I have Vighnaharta’s (the destroyer of obstacles) blessings and nothing can stop me from achieving whatever I want this year, and sadness that the cute elephant headed God who makes me break into a smile every time I see Him, was going away to be back only next year! I hope He dissolves completely in the water, unlike some of the rather disturbing pictures I have seen recently, of undissolved Ganeshjis with one arm, or head and half a torso.


Ganapati Bappa Morya
Pudhchya varshi laukarya!

(Translated roughly it means O Lord Ganesh, do come back next year!)

No comments: