Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Empathy - a rare trait?

Today evening, while on my way back home, I saw an all too familiar sight these days - an ambulance in the midst of peak hour traffic, its siren wailing, pleading for people to give way.
I peeped into the ambulance to see an old, distraught lady sitting at the back - presumably someone close to her was being rushed to the hospital.
I watched the traffic inch its way through; I watched some vehicle riders/drivers trying their best to give way by moving in whichever direction they could, to create some space for the ambulance to go through. I smiled to myself and said - 'We have come a long way from those days when the vehicles would not bother moving to the sounds of a wailing ambulance'.
And then as I watched, there were 2 arrogant car drivers, who, on seeing some empty space created, shot forward, squeezed into the gap and blocked the ambulance's path again. It did not appear to me that they had a greater emergency than the ambulance to reach some place.
Just wondering even as I type - 'Why is it that some people have lost the sense of empathy? Could they not see what I did - the old lady, close to tears? What can be more important than a matter of life and death? Or is it that some people react only when tragedy comes knocking at their doorstep? Are we slowly heading towards a 'feelingless' world, where deadlines are more important than lives, where getting to some place is more important than a life or death moment in another individual's life?'
Still thinking...

2 comments:

Ajit Padmanabh (World Void Web) said...

this is so true...feelings is all that matters!

Oneirodynic said...

Some people say its nice(r) to live in Europe or US.Because the rules are so damn hard.Rules become hard,people behave and that gets slowly downloaded into a country's culture.

I believe its not about empathy or ethics.Expecting a bigger share of 100 million people to follow ethics is a dream.Blame education or rather lack of education.A realistic stuff to do is to make the rules that damn hard.I mean,i cross close to 8 signals on my way back home and i see *atleast* 5 people every signal,who beats the red/green.Make the rules hard,cut them off right away and make people behave.Thats the only way out.Expecting a revolution is non-realistic.We will only evolve!