Monday, February 05, 2007

A Film filled Weekend

This weekend was when I planned to make up for not watching movies in a long time. I decided to begin my movie watching spree with Guru yesterday (finally!). A good story line with some riveting performances. I was impressed by the acting prowess of Abhishek, Mithun, Vidya and Madhavan.
What saddened me was the portrayal of how an apparent lack of ethics can still build and sustain a seemingly unshakeable empire, come what may.
I wondered about the disclaimer in the beginning of the movie though - ‘All characters are fictitious. Any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental’. Agreed the name ‘Gurukant Desai’ may have been the script writer’s creation. But I am sure that everyone who has watched the movie found a striking similarity to Mr. Dhirubhai Ambani’s life. Why the disclaimer then? Could the movie not have been an open tribute to him? Or did the creators of the movie not want to associate some of the ‘unethical’ practices that Gurubhai followed to get to where he was with Dhirubhai?
Still thinking….

No comments: