Friday, March 02, 2007

Once upon a time...

  • I could remember people's phone numbers, even the ones dialled less frequently. Today, I have to look up my cell phone for Dad's number.
  • I could remember friend's Birthdays and would go shopping in advance, for their gifts. Today, I forget my parents' wedding anniversary or a family member's birthday because they do not have Orkut profiles and I, therefore, am not alerted about the big days in their lives.
  • I was good at writing different types of letters on paper. Today, I wonder how I should address a colleague, a stranger or a good friend and how to sign off, on email. The letters that ran to 2 pages those days are typed as emails in 5 lines today.

Technology was always intended to be an enabler; an aid to speed up processes. Is it also becoming an aid to lose one's memory gradually? Do we depend much more on technology than technology intends us to?

3 comments:

Oneirodynic said...

I think it has nothing to do with "technology".It could be the data or information overload which is interfering with the memory.

I mean,now all of us live 2 lives.A real,a virtual.

Nova said...

Wow!!! I loved the succinct way in which u put across your thoughts!

Very articulate and Lucid :)

Nova said...

I think u have just given me a new topic for my blog :)